Sunday, September 12, 2010

Communal RPG World-building Project

So I've been working on a new campaign setting for my next RPG for quite some time now. It has slowly been piecing itself together in my mind and I really think the overall narrative plot has finally solidified and the a lot of the generalities of the world have come together. Now I am just working on filling in a whole bunch of details.

In order to do that I want to try something I haven't done before but I think will be really interesting and fun. I want to open up a portion of my world-building for this setting to my friends and fellow RPG players. I want to get different insight and perspective than I can produce on my own. I think this will help make for a really fun and vibrant world. And if I get the chance to use the world in a game for any of the given people that might end up participating in this project; I think it will really help them connect to the world even more.

So here is the idea. The world is a "simple", naturalistic/wilderness, tribal setting. It is reminiscent of post apocalyptic style settings; but without the actual apocalypse event. I have a few ideas for some of the tribes that I want to exist. I am going to be posting an example tribe and a short list of some other tribe ideas soon.

Where I'd like to get other people's creative input is in designing new tribes, or fleshing out ideas I haven't done much detail on. Thats the main thing I'm looking for. Other ideas and input, generic concepts and ideas on the world and the interaction between the tribes and stuff like that is also welcome.

I'm going to edit and vet and have final say on stuff; but I'm looking to use as much of other's ideas and input as purely as possible. So if you come up with a cool tribe, I'm not going to change stuff to just fit the way I would have done it; I'll only change something if it just doesn't fit in the world at all.

I'll post a general summary of the world concept soon as well. For an idea go to this link: http://www.soulcraftcomics.com/main/tribes-the-dog-years/.
It gives a pretty good framework for the style of world I'm working on creating. And yes I'm planning on including the whole "no one lives beyond the age of 20 something" theme that Tribes: The Dog Years has going on. That is a huge detail to keep in mind. I'll also very soon post a "creation myth" from the viewpoint of one of the tribes.

No comments:

Post a Comment