Saturday, April 24, 2010

Teaching an Old Dog New Tricks

Okay, so as most of you who have heard me whining lately know; I need to get a new job. I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO tired of food service and all the crap that comes with it. The Fratellis job is good, I enjoy it, its not difficult; but seeing as how its a very small business they can't afford to give me many hours and pay me more than minimum wage. Which I 100% understand and I'm not angry or bitter at them at all.

Unlike my other job of course. I have come to hate working at Chilis. The moment I walk in the door I can't wait until the shift is over and I can leave. I feel like, while most everyone there likes me, no one really respects me and especially not my bosses. Like most waiters I'm just seen as another easily replaceable cog in the machine, and it sucks a lot. Plus working for tips is very up and down and I hate depending on other peoples whims to make my money.

And on top of the other bad stuff the schedule is just killing me. I go in at 9 a.m. Mon-Sat. Work till either 1 pm or 11 am; depending on the day; then if its a Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday I just go waste a few hours until I go work at Chilis; and I'm there until late in the evening and I just go home and go to bed. I can't grow or change my social life at all because my only available free time is in the middle of the day when everyone is busy with work and school and all that. It sucks.

So I am going to be looking for a new job now. Something 9-5, Mon-Fri. I know the economy sucks and jobs are hard to find; but I'm going to do my best. There are three things all you wonderful friends of mine can do to help me with this pursuit.

1) For them that are the praying type, please do so on my behalf. I could use all the help I can get finding a decent job.

2) I'm going to try and build up my computer/tech skills, get some certifications, learn some new skill sets, etc etc. If anyone knows about computer and IT type jobs I would love any advice and help you can give figuring out what certifications and classes I should look into; and on finding out where to pursue such learning.

3) If you hear of any opportunities; please pass along the word to me. I'll of course be checking listings myself; but maybe you folks will hear of some jobs that I won't.


3 comments:

  1. University has a help desk job open. Part time but pays 10 bucks an hour:

    https://jobs.uark.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/position/JobDetails_css.jsp?postingId=137508

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, and office work is WHERE IT'S AT. If you can land a gig in a cube farm, sometimes you can go on the internet instead of working! One time, I read through the entire archives of like six webcomics and still managed to get my work done, because I TYPE FAST.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As for growing your skill set, there are a few ways to do it:

    1) Play. Get yourself a copy of Dreamweaver if you want to do web design. Visual Studio if you want to do programming. Mess around with some old computers.

    Upside to this is its free. Downside is that you have to make the time and there really isn't a good way to prove you have bee doing it (if you do web design, you can get a profiolo).

    2) Take a class. ISYS department is pretty good at the UofA (but expensive). A+ certification might be good thing to have if you want to get into tech support and don't have a degree.

    I don't know what your strengths are in computers. Based on your WOD character, you seem to be able to troubleshoot and you have some graphic design skills. If you can get into web design, you can spin your resume to make use of your degree.

    I got some webspace if you need a place to play around with. You can run php and stuff on it.

    If you need more advice, find me on facebook chat or give me a call.

    ReplyDelete