Thursday, February 16, 2012

Dungeon World

So I have totally fallen in love with the simplicity and elegance of the rpg Dungeon World.  I have been intrigued by the Apocalypse World Engine since I first heard about it and very much enjoyed playing Dungeon World when I got the chance.  Afterwards I listened to the Walking Eye AP podcast of DW, and became very determined to run the game for some more friends of mine so that they could experience it as well.

So the other night I got the chance to run a game with a couple of friends and jumped on it.  We did the same adventure that I got to play, The Bloodstone Idol, because I figure the familiarity would be nice for the first game I was trying to run.  They chose the Wizard and the Cleric for their characters.

Starting out the PCs managed to find the above ground hidden entrance and sneak in the back way.  Shortly after entering the underground tunnels they encountered the home of the goblin clan and with spell and sword they managed to carve their way through to the tunnels beyond.

Coming out halfway down the enormously vaulted chamber with the Idol itself they carefully made their way to the bottom using ropes and scaffolding.  They dropped into the middle of a battle, having to take defensive action and move quickly to get out of the crossfire between the goblins and the lizardmen.  Upon reaching the "safe" side of the cavern they were able to luckily locate the hidden cache.

After supplementing their supplies with the potions, rations, and items in the cache they proceeded to sneak across the Idol chamber and out the other side, coming across Grundloch's Illusion chamber.  They proceeded to charge directly into battle with the phantasms, feeling like quite the fools when they discovered the fact that the current enemies did not really exist.  :)

The advisors in the Parliament room answered the PCs questions, providing valuable information about the big bad evil guy in the next room.  Armed with this knowledge they proceeded in the laboratory lair of the Grundloch.

The epic final battle was quite enjoyable, as the two PCs fought valiantly against the mad scientist-esque Grundloch and his arcane golem.  The battle was close, but the PCs prevailed and defeated him.  We ended the game with me totally stealing a page out of the Walking Eye's play book and doing a cinematic pan out of from the two heroes as they set up camp before heading back out of the dungeon depths, passing by all the various baddies they would have to fight on their way out.

Overall I had fun, and so did they.  I feel good about the system, and I think they would be interested in playing some more.  I hope to also introduce my other RP group to the game soon, and run a longer campaign.

No comments:

Post a Comment