Monday, October 31, 2011

National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo)

Well, the day is finally technically here.  I'm sure most folks won't consider it November until they wake up tomorrow morning but with my night shift ways I'm going ahead and counting it at the actual clock turnover.  National Novel Writing Month has arrived.

I haven't done anywhere near as much outlining as I intended to; but that is okay I'll just spend some of the first few days working on that.  I do have a few important scenes already planned out, and with the advice that I don't have to write in chronological order finally accepted into my head I think I'll have enough stuff to dig into at first even without a completed outline.

I'm very excited about the whole thing.  I know I won't come out on December 1st with a completed publishable product.  Not even anywhere near close.  But if I complete this goal I think it will go a long way towards making me feel like I could actually make something of myself as a writer

I think the final two obstacles that I will have to deal with are going to be making myself make this a priority and not psyching myself out and worrying too much about it all being perfect.  I am hoping that foreknowledge of these issue will make them easier to conquer.  We will see.

One big favor to ask of folks that actually read this blog; and I will probably send out a Facebook message to the same effect, so apologies to anyone that gets this twice but I will probably have a lot better chance of completing this if other people help provide external pressure/motivation and feedback.  So friends and family, please please please bug and bother me about my "novel".  Ask how its coming.  Ask where my wordcount is at.  Encourage me to keep going.  Admonish me if I let things slip.  I may not react wonderfully to it; but I will appreciate it on some level.  :)

And if anyone else is doing this please let me know.  I know quite a few people that did a local challenge of this sort a few months ago; maybe some of them are participating again.  Also some other friends have expressed interest in doing this as well.  The more peer support the better.


No comments:

Post a Comment