Sunday, July 8, 2012

Night Shift Terrors, Chapter 1.2

“Holy s@#t! What the hell?” Silas rubbed the back of his head where he had slammed it against the wall.

“You act like you've never seen a cat before.”

“Not on in a mirror, and certainly not one that talks!”

The tabby stepped forward through the mirror, the surface of the glass rippling like water as it passed through.

“Better now?”

“Halfway,” Silas responded, not looking at the cat as he tried to twist around to see the back of his head.

“What are you doing?”

“Trying to figure out what is causing me to hallucinate you.”

“I'm not a hallucination.”

“Which is exactly something a hallucination would say.”

“Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why is that something a hallucination would say, exactly?”

“I don't know. Maybe being not real gives you low self-esteem and you want to try and reaffirm your non-existence by stating it?”

Silas gave up trying to see the back of his head and just felt it instead. There was some tenderness, but nothing that felt critical. So why was he seeing things?

“I assure you I'm not trying to alleviate any self-worth issues. Also you saw me before you bumped your head.”

“That does lend a bit of credence to your non-hallucinatory argument.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“You're welcome.”

“So you believe me now?”

“That or I'm dreaming, either one works for me cause I need the sleep.”

“Frankly, either works for me as well. Now please come with me.”

“Where to?”

“You wouldn't believe me if I told you.”

“I'm believing a talking cat.”

“Quite commendable of you.”

Silas opened the door and followed the cat down the hallway, down past the front offices and into the conference room, right to a door in the back labeled “Supply”.

“I wouldn't believe a supply closet?”

“Looks can be deceiving.”

The tabby jumped up, grabbing the handle and pulling the door open.

Looking through the opening door, Silas gasped.

Chapter 1.3

No comments:

Post a Comment