Sunday, July 15, 2012

Remember Tomorrow Review Part 2

In the vein of trying to get more updates out, here is a quick second look at Remember Tomorrow with my opinions after having played a second time.

We played a second session of the game last Monday.  Josh was unable to make it because of some sort of pandemic that was localized to his house.  Therefore it was just me, John, and Emily.  Luckily Josh's character had achieved his goal and been written out at the end of the last session; so it all worked out.

The session ended up being fairly short.  I wrote myself out pretty quickly and managed to get my character's mind transferred into an android body.  John also wrote his character out after a few more scenes and ended the session with a cool scene where his character found his long lost brother.  Emily I believe did not get very close to achieving her goal; but she most likely would have very quickly in a third session; or if that session had gone one a few more scenes.

After I wrote my character out I made a new character that was basically a crazy loose cannon that was aimed directly at the other two characters.  I did not get to play him for very long; I think only 2 or 3 scenes. But in the short time I had I think I managed to really GET how this game can be done correctly.  It is very much as I and John said in the last post; a game where you are playing a GM first and mostly just reacting as a PC.  Coming into it with that mindset totally made things click and my opinion on the game pretty much did a 180.

I really think that the game could heavily benefit from instructions or at least a heavy suggestion that when you make your initial characters you should be looking to create interesting points of antagonism with the other PCs.  At the very least you should have to make your Faction be set up to go against and interact with someone else's character; and not make it be about your own.  I think that that would really help you come to the first play session with a correct mindset and a better setup for making the game work the way it was intended to work.

Overall when I look at the game and the play experience with a more objective point of view; I think it was really fun and a very well designed game.  The problems I had the first time around where with me; not really with the game itself.  There are some really cool ideas that I may be stealing or modifying for my own projects in the future, and I think I would enjoy doing another round of it at a Game Day or something.  So I'd say definitely give it a shot if you get the opportunity, it is worth your time and effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment